Marking Modern Times: A History of Clocks, Watches, and Other Timekeepers in American Life
Book file PDF easily for everyone and every device.
You can download and read online Marking Modern Times: A History of Clocks, Watches, and Other Timekeepers in American Life file PDF Book only if you are registered here.
And also you can download or read online all Book PDF file that related with Marking Modern Times: A History of Clocks, Watches, and Other Timekeepers in American Life book.
Happy reading Marking Modern Times: A History of Clocks, Watches, and Other Timekeepers in American Life Bookeveryone.
Download file Free Book PDF Marking Modern Times: A History of Clocks, Watches, and Other Timekeepers in American Life at Complete PDF Library.
This Book have some digital formats such us :paperbook, ebook, kindle, epub, fb2 and another formats.
Here is The CompletePDF Book Library.
It's free to register here to get Book file PDF Marking Modern Times: A History of Clocks, Watches, and Other Timekeepers in American Life Pocket Guide.
Bibliography Includes bibliographical references and index.
- How Does My Asset Allocation Compare to Everyone Else??
- Marchito azar verdiblanco (Hooligans Ilustrados nº 5) (Spanish Edition).
- Why Elders?: A Biblical and Practical Guide for Church Members.
- Queer Hauntings: True Tales of Gay & Lesbian Ghosts!
- Real Teachers: True Stories of Renegade Educators.
- Degrammaticalization (Oxford Linguistics).
Contents Unveiling the Jewelers' clock Time's tongue and hands: Publisher's Summary The public spaces and buildings of the United States are home to many thousands of timepieces - bells, time balls, and clock faces - that tower over urban streets, peek out from lobbies, and gleam in store windows.
And in the streets and squares beneath them, men, women, and children wear wristwatches of all kinds. Americans have decorated their homes with clocks and included them in their poetry, sermons, stories, and songs. As political instruments, social tools, and cultural symbols, these personal and public timekeepers have enjoyed a broad currency in art, life, and culture.
In "Marking Modern Times", Alexis McCrossen relates how the American preoccupation with time led people from across social classes to acquire watches and clocks.
Save America's Clocks
While noting the difficulties in regulating and synchronizing so many timepieces, McCrossen expands our understanding of the development of modern time discipline, delving into the ways we have standardized time and describing how timekeepers have served as political, social, and cultural tools in a society that doesn't merely value time, but regards access to time as a natural-born right, a privilege of being an American. Nielsen Book Data Sign In or Create an Account. Close mobile search navigation Article navigation.
For permissions, please e-mail: You do not currently have access to this article.
- Sounds Like London: 100 Years of Black Music in the Capital?
- J Krishnamurti Commentaries On Living Series 1.
- Account Options.
- Account Options?
- Resources — Save America's Clocks.
- A brief history of knowing what time it is - SMU.
You could not be signed in. Sign In Forgot password? Don't have an account?
Organization of American Historians members Sign in via society site. Sign in via your Institution Sign in.
Purchase Subscription prices and ordering Short-term Access To purchase short term access, please sign in to your Oxford Academic account above. This article is also available for rental through DeepDyve. Email alerts New issue alert. Receive exclusive offers and updates from Oxford Academic. Related articles in Google Scholar.
- Marking Modern Times.
- 100 Ways to Make Life Easier (The Fundamentals of Ease Series);
- For the Duration: The War Years (A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book)?
- Good Habits, Bad Habits. A Critical Discussion of Charles Duhiggs The Power of Habit;
- Fine Art Nude Study Lookbook - Fine Art Nudity in Light and Shadow.